Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Meet Peri June




1- How long have you been writing and what made you start?

I have always jotted down ideas whenever they came along, but I'd never followed through with them. A couple of years ago I had the idea for my first book and I didn't want to forget any details, so I simply started writing and before I knew it, I had an actual novel on my hands!

2- Did the story happen organically or did you know the plot beforehand?

I had all the basic plot points already prepared, but the little details of the story came as I was writing. One character that was supposed to be only mentioned in passing became my favorite supporting character, so that was a nice surprise.

3- What are the biggest hurdles for indies and how have you overcome them?

Getting the word out about my book is the biggest hurdle for me; asking people to review it is just so scary. As for how I overcome it, just by having patience and amazing support from author groups on Goodreads.

4- Where and how do you write?

I like to write at night in my living room when the whole world is asleep (ha!). I outline the story by hand and then I type it out in all its details on my laptop.

5- How do your friends and family feel about your writing? Are they supportive?

They are immensely supportive and very excited for me. They're all happy that I finally published the book instead of just talking about maybe taking that step sometime in the future.

6- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Hopefully I would have a couple more books out, and they are being well received.

7- Who is your favorite writer and what books have made an impact on your life?

This is always a tricky question for me to answer; it's impossible for me to name just one. Lol. But I will say that two of the very first authors I've read when I was in college were Judith McNaught and Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I love how they craft their stories and their sense of humor. If I could have a tenth of their talent someday I would be a very happy girl.

8- Biggest mistake as an indie?

Inundating people with requests to read your book; you have to take it nice and slow and let them get to know you first.

9- What are you working on now?

I just finished outlining a story set in college and, like its predecessor, it has some darkness to it. Turns out I like me some darkness. (There maybe something wrong with me. Lol).

10- What is your takeaway from becoming an indie?

Independent authors work a lot harder than I had previously thought. All the respect I had for them has increased tenfold since I published my book. It's still surreal for me to be known as an "author", but each and every one of them has been very welcoming to the newcomer in their midst. Love to everybody!

Thank you so much.






No comments:

Post a Comment