Monday, February 6, 2017

Meet Groovy Lee! Author Interview



1.      Tell us a little bit about yourself.
 I was born in the Southern part of the United States. I have a daughter who’s my best friend, my Queen, and biggest supporter. I’m addicted to bottled tea and tennis.

2.      How did you start writing?
 I began writing ever since I could hold a pencil in my hand. I would write about adventures; I even wrote a neighborhood newspaper and comic books. But I began to write seriously when I got hooked on Harlequin Romance novels back in the day. Reading those beautiful love stories inspired me to want to do the same.

3.      How much of your writing is autobiographical—How did your life impact your writing?
 I would say not a lot, especially in my romance novels—I wish! But in my novel, ‘Cause She’s A Good Girl’, the main character is somewhat autobiographical. I, too, had a mother like Connie.
My life impacts my writing in that the main characters are mostly raised by a single, very loving, grandmother, much like my own grandmother. They will never have a mother or father’s unconditional love or support. And, to make this answer even sadder, I write about enduring, true love in my romance novels; men who are kind, thoughtful, passionate, and respects women. My life experience has been the exact opposite. But, I’m glad I was able to take my life experience and make a positive path out of it—right?

4.      What is the biggest surprise in being an Indie writer?
The people that you meet. I thought I could just write my stories, put them out there, and just start the next one. But as soon as I hit publish, a world of Social Media opened up and I was exposed to other hard-working authors, forums, and bloggers. I’ve met some wonderful people I never would have met and befriended otherwise. And the amount of support and advice is unbelievable.

5.       What has been the biggest disappointment?
The biggest disappointment is in me. I suck at promoting. I don’t like that part of being an author, but it’s a necessary part. The second is how hard it is to get readers to leave a review. They don’t realize how much their reviews help us as authors.

6.      Where do you see yourself in five years?
On the New York Times Bestseller’s list. I know, don’t we all. Realistically, still writing and gaining more fans.

7.      Does the writing affect your home life?
And how! When I’m writing, editing, rewriting, editing, and repeating those steps, the housework suffers. I would be ashamed if anyone came over to visit. But now that my latest book, A BODY RESURRECTED, has just been released, I can take a break and super clean everything.

8.      What advice would you give to a new writer?
Be prepared! The writing part is the easiest, but it’s just the tip of the iceberg. Write from the heart, not just to become a best seller, it will never happen. Don’t write stories you feel your readers are expecting; write them your way. Join forums where you can meet eager readers and fellow authors. There’s so much good advice to be learned from them. Not everyone will like what you write, but that’s okay; be happy about the ones that can’t wait for your next book to come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment